Here's a lilting Christmas show based on Charles Dickens' classic A Christmas Carol. The added dimensions of musical treatment make this a particularly enjoyable new way of presenting this grand story of hardhearted Ebenezer Scrooge, who hates Christmas and is visited successively by three ghosts: the ghost of Christmas Past, Christmas Present and Christmas Future. They bring revelations to Scrooge, mainly about himself, and he's shocked into action that centers about the poor but happy Cratchit family and their brave little crippled son Tiny Tim. The songs are varied and catchy. This musical was so successful on Canadian television that it may become an annual event!
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code M01000
- Cast Size 19
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871296054
- "Mr. Scrooge was a pure delight to produce and perform. The roles gave all our actors an opportunity to showcase diverse abilities. The vocal selections were catchy and put everyone in the holiday spirit. A true holiday classic. On our books for future holiday productions!"
- Review by Alex DiGuiseppe, Gordon Middle School, Coatesville, PA
- "Mr. Scrooge packed the house each performance during our Dickens Village Festival. Many (including cast members) said this was the best Dickens play yet."
- Review by Stu Merry, Sakakawea Area Council for Art, Garrison, N.D.
- "Mr. Scrooge was a rousing holiday delight. Filled with humor, tragedy and a splash of horror. The ghosts each accord our actors tremendous artistic freedom of expression. All left the theatre with true holiday "spirit.""
- Review by Alex Diguiseppe, Coatesville High School, Coatesville, Pa.
- "Although Mr. Scrooge is based on Dickens' well-loved tale, this is definitely Dickens with a twist. The addition of delightful tunes and outrageous ghosts make this enjoyable entertainment for the whole family."
- Review by Gail Limber, Courtenay Little Theatre, Courtenay, British Columbia, Canada
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We used blacklight makeup and paint to enhance ghosts and cemetery scenes. Great audience appeal."
- Tip by Alex Diguiseppe, Coatesville High School, Coatesville, Pa.