"Total theatre" is the expression critics have used to describe this unique theatrical event, which is designed for production on a nearly bare stage by a large and flexible cast. The Marquis de Sade, when an inmate of the Asylum of Charenton, staged plays that were performed by fellow inmates. With this point of departure, Peter Weiss has created one of the most powerful and exciting plays of the century.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code M18000
- Cast Size 12
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 140 min
- Target Audience High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871295071
- "It was a challenging and exciting experience. The script still holds power some 40 years after its debut. Created a great deal of audience discussion. A unique piece of theatre that deserves to be visited again."
- Review by Cindy Pack, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla.
- "An excellent piece of "theatre history" that students need to be exposed to! The play presents challenges in physical, emotional and concentrational areas to actors that are demanding and rewarding."
- Review by Michael Krickmire, SUNY College at Brockport, Brockport, N.Y.
- "The production was challenging and provocative, as well as exhausting. It proved to be the best show in our season. It was a unique experience Ñ unlike any other show we've done. And the audience response was fantastic!"
- Review by Billy Dragoo, Austin High School, Austin, Texas
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Prepare your audience for what they are about to experience. We used in-depth dramaturgy displays to inform them of the tenor and tone of the piece prior to entering the theatre."
- Tip by Cindy Pack, University of Oklahoma, Norman, Okla.
- "A traditional "bath house" set is not necessary for the success of this script. We approached it in an "environmental" space with great success."
- Tip by Michael Krickmire, SUNY College at Brockport, Brockport, N.Y.
|University of Nebraska at Kearney - Miriam Drake Theatre||Kearney||Nebraska||3/11/2020||3/15/2020|
|Monkey Bottom||Durham||North Carolina||3/5/2020||3/21/2020|
|Frederick Loewe Theatre||New York||New York||2/19/2020||2/23/2020|