Deniece, Jessie, Michael, Claire and Shawn are classmates. Jessie and Michael are going out. Same with Claire and Shawn. Deniece? Well, she's always been a little different: "Ain't no man gonna touch these lips 'til I got a signed document and a preacher saying, 'Get on with yourselves.' If any man will have me." Yet, despite her non-participation, or perhaps because of it, Deniece becomes a confidante for the others as they struggle with this most ardent of passions. Complicating the issue are outside pressures like friends, family and MTV, plus the real-life consequences of elation, frustration, date rape, incest, and AIDS. All the while, Deniece listens and nods understandingly, providing perspective now and then by sharing her own deeply moving and surprising story.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code M55000
- Cast Size 5
- Min. Royalty Rate $35/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 40 min
- ISBN(13) 9780871295491
- "This play tackles sex ed and teen issues in a way that's both informative and allows teen and pre-teens to relate. It's funny, poignant, and to the point. It also allows the actors to growÑto explore areas they may not feel comfortable with otherwise."
- Review by Barbara Lammert, Gateway Players Theatre, Southbridge, Mass.
- "A wonderful commentary on the sexual situations and decisions teens have to make in our current era."
- Review by Kate Cotter-Reilly, The Horizons School, Jonesboro, Ga.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Consider doing it all in black and white, with the Deniece character in grayÑto illustrate that the topic isn't all "black and white.""
- Tip by Glenn Turner, Wallaceburg District Secondary School, Wallaceburg, Ontario, Canada