Complete with rowdy ranch hands and beautiful French cancan dancers, this comic melodrama will have you cheering the heroes, booing the villain and dancing the cancan as you find your way home. The old widow may lose the ranch, the innocent heroine is unjustly accused of robbery, and the hero must save them both from the clutches of the evil villain. Lost in Tumblerock or, They Took the Wrong Road to the Right Place has everything you expect from a comic melodrama. The characters wouldn't be lost in Tumblerock if they hadn't taken a few unexpected turns along the way. The new sheriff, Simon Surefire, took a wrong turn somewhere in the Midwest and ended up in Tumblerock just in time to replace the old sheriff, who went out with a posse and never returned. Simon is determined to help the citizens of Tumblerock find the robber of many local businesses, including the Tumblerock Savings and Loan. As hard as he tries, he gets lost everywhere he goes, but he won't let his poor sense of direction stop him from carrying out his duty. Rosaline and her sidekick, Cecilia, disguised as Ross and Cecil, are on their way to the Show Palace Theatre in San Francisco with a wagon full of French cancan dancers. They took a wrong turn and ended up at the Heartwell Ranch in Tumblerock. Ma Heartwell invites them to stay at the ranch with her and the rowdy ranch hands that she vows to turn into gentlemen. Rosaline recognizes Mayor Darrell W. Devlin as the villainous Willy Devarau from her past. He uses the girls' disguises as a reason to accuse Rosaline and Cecilia of being the robbers. Simon is forced to arrest the two women, but he gets lost on the way to jail, giving Rosaline time to explain how Devlin kidnapped her and blackmailed her adoptive parents many years ago. Rosaline tricks Devlin into confessing his many crimes while Simon, Ma and the ranch hands listen from behind a screen. It is discovered that Rosaline is really Ma Heartwell's daughter, and they all decide to stay in Tumblerock rather than trying to reach San Francisco.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code LJ9000
- Cast Size 15
- Min. Royalty Rate $40/perf
- Cost $7.95
- Approx. Run Time 45 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Melodrama
- "The production was very cute ... it was a very fun production and I would highly recommend the script for a community theatre looking to do an interactive show."
- Review by Lenita Krejci, Yukon Middle School, Yukon, Okla.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Though the characters are very true to a melodrama which added a very fun element, take care in casting as the parts do not share the line load very evenly. I would suggest a very well seasoned and experienced Ma Hartwell for example. "
- Tip by Lenita Krejci, Yukon Middle School, Yukon, Okla.