This spirited musical adaptation—a richly textured celebration of life, love and the family set against the background of the American Civil War—dramatizes the story of the March sisters, Meg, Jo, Beth and Amy. Scenes move rapidly between locations and through time, telling the stories of all four girls, each of whose experience and distinctive personality are vividly portrayed. Memorable music and lyrics include "An Operatic Tragedy," a melodramatic mini-opera performed by the March girls in their parlor for friends; "The Violet," Beth's tender theme evocative of the Civil War era; "Aunt March," a clashing of personalities between Jo and grouchy Aunt March; "Polka," sung at a rousing New Year's Eve ball; "Together," a quartet sung by the March sisters; "Amy's Continental Tour" and "Laurie's Continental Tour," punctuating their European tours; and "The Great River of Life," an inspirational family celebration finale. Underlying the play's story and music are Louisa May Alcott's timeless themes of coming of age and the importance of honesty, hard work, true love, home and family. The play contains elements making it suitable as a Christmas/holiday production with holiday-related lines that can be omitted if desired. Productions of this fresh, new musical will be unforgettable to audiences reliving this timeless story and to cast members as they assume the roles of familiar characters who have captured the hearts of readers for nearly 150 years.
Limited Livestream Rights AvailableContact our customer service department for more information.
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code LF1000
- Cast Size 22
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 90 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583426968
- "Little Women was a perfect show for Dallas Children's Theater's TEEN SCENE Players. It offered a fresh look at the classic material with major roles for experienced actors and singers along with many other smaller but well developed and fun characters for less experienced performers. The play may be produced with simple sets, and the excellent accompaniment CD made the show easy to produce. Response to the production was overwhelming, with audiences (even teen student audiences) on their feet at the end of every show. In fact, DCT has produced Little Women twice!"
- Review by Nancy Schaeffer, Director of Education, Dallas Children's Theater
|Polka - Part I||mp3||Download|
|Polka - Part II||mp3||Download|
|Amy's Continental Tour||mp3||Download|