Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code J31000
- Cast Size 20
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 130 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Senior Theatre | Touring Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871298218
- "This was a great adaptation with an excellent role for a powerful female lead. The script gave us nice opportunities to explore the darker Gothic elements of the novel as well as the deep moral themes. In this version, Jane is very articulate with some extremely powerful scenes with Mr. Rochester. The story is told well and appealed to a wide range of audience members."
- Review by David Dinsmore, Beaver County Christian School, Beaver Falls, Penn.
- "Fans of the original novel will not be disappointed. This adaption is true to the book. Our audiences loved it, and we sold our every night. "
- Review by Amy Beach, Stage Door Productions, Inc, Fredericksburg, Va.
- "Jane Eyre is, by far, the most challenging and rewarding show we have done. The script stays true to the book and is a great tool for getting students (and parents) interested in classic literature. The audience was impressed, because it was obvious we had put a lot of work into our performances."
- Review by Cheyla Wagner, Trenton High School, Trenton, Mich.
- "Our audience loved this skillful adaptation."
- Review by Linda Thayer, Good Company Players, Fresno, CA
- "Jane Eyre is a truly exceptional script and brilliant adaptation. Adhering very faithfully to the original novel, it captures the complex characters, engaging story and lyrical words with passion and pace. The form of older Jane as narrator/participant and the ensemble of players is unique and plays well theatrically."
- Review by Lee Kaplan, Debut Theatre Company, Fort Collins, Colo.
- "An excellent, engaging and well written script. Mr. Johanson conquered the difficult task of writing a part for Jane Eyre as Charlotte Bronte would have seen her. You should carry a script written by Robert Johanson!"
- Review by Ciara Stockeland, Third Street Acting Company, Fargo, N.D.
- "A fine rendition of a powerful love storyÑready-made for a large cast of predominantly females."
- Review by Ken Greenman, Highland High School, Highland, N.Y.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Read the novel, and do your research. We decided on doing a deconstructed theme with the set and costumes since the story is told through Jane and invites us into her memories. When we look back at our own memories, we may remember important events, but not the details of people's clothing, our home furnishings. This helped keep budget cost low, but was also pleasing to the eye. "
- Tip by Amy Beach, Stage Door Productions, Inc, Fredericksburg, Va.
- "We didn't go minimalist with the sets or costuming. We had a center section that was 2-levels and permanent and then created triads for the sides. By doing this, we were able to create different locations on the sides that were easily changed as Jane travels. One side of each triad was painted as Thornfield so Rochester's house could take up the entire stage during his scenes."
- Tip by Cheyla Wagner, Trenton High School, Trenton, Mich.
- "Plan out your strategy for this production well in advance. Plot out your prompt book. Research Charlotte Bronte herself and read Jane Eyre!"
- Tip by Ciara Stockeland, Third Street Acting Company, Fargo, N.D.