Humpty-Dumpty Is Missing! is an affectionate spoof of the private-eye thrillers of the 1940s and '50s and an exciting, funfilled way to introduce young audiences to this classic genre. Sammy Scoop is a private investigator in the tradition of his grandfather, Samuel Shovel and his father, Sam Spade. Sammy faces the biggest challenge of his illustrious career with the sudden fall and disappearance of the jolly Humpty-Dumpty who apparently had no enemies. But Sammy and his sidekick, Alice from Dallas, soon come up with a list of suspects who had motive and, perhaps, opportunity. Mistress Mary, Rip Van Winkle, Henny-Penny, Peter Rabbit and his sisters, Rapunzel and the Handsome Prince (who, because he is a painter, prefers to be called the Artist Formerly Known As the Handsome Prince) are among the many suspects called onto the carpet. A last-minute surprise appearance by two of fairy tales most celebrated characters, Mother Goose and Mother Hubbard, finally help Sammy and Alice nab the culprit (the least likely suspect, of course—we'd never break tradition in that important area). As with the popular Trial of Goldilocks and The Trial of the Big Bad Wolf, this play may be performed by children or adults or any combination thereof. With one simple set and flexible casting, Humpty-Dumpty Is Missing! is ideal for all groups.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code H83000
- Cast Size 16
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 50 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre
- Genre Comedy
- ISBN(13) 9781583421208
- "Humpty Dumpty Is Missing was fun to produce as it allowed us to cast 29 students without double casting. Also, it brought to life in small character sketches familiar stories to the audience and the cast themselves. It also lent itself to an easy set with which to set up and take down. The audience loved the humor and the children were encouraged by it."
- Review by Leslie Greeneisen, Plymouth Community Arts Council, Plymouth, Mich.
- "Very funny show! Easy to produce! It gave our kids a chance to try comedy, which was much harder than it looks. We had a great time!"
- Review by Robin Sostak, Chapel Field Christian School, Pine Bush, N.Y.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We tried it as a dessert theatre and it worked wonderfully."
- Tip by Robin Sostak, Chapel Field Christian School, Pine Bush, N.Y.
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).