In Great Expectations we are taken into the world of 19th-century England. Packed with curious and fascinating characters, enchanting and dangerous places and situations that are at once exhilarating and horrifying, Great Expectations is a literary gem. Pip, an orphan boy, has a life-changing encounter one day on the moors when he helps an escaped convict named Magwitch by getting him food and a file for his leg irons. From this one act of kindness, Pip starts on a journey to manhood that is full of twists and turns. He dreams of being a gentleman, and miraculously an opportunity is presented that allows him to bring his dream to life. By inheriting a large sum of money, Pip advances in society and all of his expectations seem to come true, but in a way that is, at once, mysterious and disturbing. Ultimately, Pip learns some important lessons about love, forgiveness and redemption. This story is full of surprises, and Dickens masterfully guides us through a world of shadow and light to an ending both poignant and satisfying as Pip realizes his great expectations.
Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code GC7000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Senior Theatre | Touring Group | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583429495
- "Fast-paced adaptation of Dickens' classic coming-of-age story."
- Review by Susan Evans, Town Hall Theatre, Lafayette, Calif.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Rapidity of script requires very skillful costuming and props and skilled backstage crew, and actors who are facile at quick-changes."
- Tip by Susan Evans, Town Hall Theatre, Lafayette, Calif.
Media Reviews"[A] flawless adaptation … The show is a stunner on every level." -Chicago Sun-Times
"Gale Childs Daly's exceptional new adaptation is uncommonly tight and suspenseful. With their multiple plots, Dickens novels often are tough to adapt. This one keeps the storytelling, and the hero, front and center. Truly, it's a riveting cutting and shaping that is never dull for a moment." -Chicago Tribune
|Louis Bluver Theatre at the Drake||Philadelphia||Pennsylvania||12/16/2020||1/9/2021|