The old morality play in which Everyman (or Everywoman) suddenly faces Death has been made into a new play in which the medieval speech gives way to the 20th-century English of a shopping center. Death gives Everyman one hour to put his affairs in order and, as the countdown begins, our hero realizes that finding a tax shelter or an attractive date for dinner are no longer pressing problems. Everyman first tries to find someone to accompany him on his journey. Of course, no one is willing to go along—except Good Deeds, an unselfish lady who has been widely regarded as impulsive and none too bright. All the allegorical figures—Beauty, Strength, Worldly Goods—come to life in their modern counterparts.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code E21000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $55/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 35 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Praise Groups
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Praise Group
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871295361
- "This was a fitting and accessible play for our 6th grade medieval faire offering. Parents loved the contemporary settings and references and some asked how they could get scripts to share with friends and co-workers."
- Review by Maureen Hawkins, Villa Academy, Seattle, WA
- "Students are enjoying staging this play. They totally "get" the allegory and the moral. They enjoyed roles like "Death" and "Good Deeds.""
- Review by Randy Burse, Gallatin High School, Gallatin, Tenn.
- "I have read and wanted to stage this show for several years because of its timeless message. I was uncertain how the students would respond to the script; but after reading it, they were almost as eager as I was to stage this show."
- Review by Diana Torres, Americo Paredes Middle School, Austin, Texas
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "We basically used a bare stage and emphasized different areas with lighting. Five Wits became a sort of muse for Everyman with props to suggest character (i. e., taste = wine bottle)."
- Tip by Randy Burse, Gallatin High School, Gallatin, Tenn.