Lillian Boedecker Barron is 84 years old, vibrant, funny, wise, and recently deceased! During her lifetime, Lillian shared a special, long-distance bond with her granddaughter, Kelly, and suffered an estrangement from her son Windsor, a Colonel in the Air Force, as he moved his family from base to base all over the world. After her death, Lillian discovers that she cannot "move on" until the rifts are somehow mended. Windsor and Kelly come from overseas to settle Lillian's affairs and are aghast to discover that the walls of her house have been painted with wild, sometimes humorous, sometimes horrific murals and drawings. As they unravel secrets of the paintings, the two make astonishing discoveries about themselves and a special relationship between Lillian and a neighborhood child. This powerful, poignant play explores the wonder of words and the transformative power of art as it offers humor and hope to anyone who is, or has ever been, a grandparent, parent, or a child.
NotesThis special 40-minute cutting has been approved by the author for amateur competitions only.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code D72000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $50/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 40 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages) | Senior Adults
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Senior Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871298850
- "This play will make you laugh and cry. It explores the difficulties of our society as families are geographically and emotionally separated. I think there's a great message in this playÑthat we need to communicate with each other and work out our problems while there is time."
- Review by Karen Bohmfalk, Paradise High School, Paradise, Texas
- "This is a great piece that infuses dramatic situations with comic relief."
- Review by Jason Hewitt, L. G. Pinkston High School, Dallas, Texas
- "The students were able to really grasp the characters and relationships involved. A truly lovely, funny, sad and moving production."
- Review by Tanya Monet-Bakken, Campbellsport School District, Campbellsport, Wis.
|Timber Creek High||Orlando||Florida||11/15/2019||11/19/2019|