Eight-year-old Devon is having a terrible day. His mother yelled at him, his teacher thinks he's a pain and his classmate Adam punched him. Finally, Devon has a fight with his best friend, Stephanie, over who will train Sam, his dog, for the upcoming neighborhood dog show. Stephanie storms off saying, "I hate you, you're the worst friend ever." Devon is feeling thoroughly sorry for himself when the closet door creaks open and out stumbles The Hurt, a funny little fellow in an oversized coat, who won't go away. Although Devon tries to ignore his Hurt, then push it back into the closet, it is only when he accepts The Hurt that he understands the nature of feelings. An engaging, humorous, action-filled story of how Devon, with the help of his loyal dog, learns to deal with his Hurt and reconcile his friendship with Stephanie, Devon's Hurt shares a serious message about dealing with feelings, resolving conflicts and becoming a friend. Written especially for the younger set and their families, this play won the Aurand Harris Memorial Playwriting Award.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code D74000
- Cast Size 4
- Min. Royalty Rate $45/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 45 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Elementary School | Middle School | TYA | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781583420119
- "Devon's Hurt respects the emotional life of children…its spirit, vitality and humor delight and challenge its audience. Teachers and school counselors told us: 'We've been working on conflict resolution. This is just what our school needed.'"
- Review by Patricia Moore Zimmer, Eastern Michigan University Theatre for the Young.
- "…a delightful, charming, gently thoughtful play written to engage young audiences and their families with a genuine conflict and resolution mirroring their own everyday lives."
- Review by Scot Copland, Artistic Director, Nashville Children's Theatre