Buzz Halliburton, an entertainer fallen on hard times, is summoned to Gargoyle House, a spooky castle on a lonely New England island. With him is his partner, Admiral Byrd, a penguin who can tap dance to "Puttin' on the Ritz." The relatives turn out to be candidates for the funny farm. Colonel Snipes plots to blow up the island. Veronica, his wife, wears evening gowns in the daytime. Little Messalina is a child terror who has baby piranhas for pets. The housekeeper, who often appears without her head, is menacing; the gardener is probably insane. One grisly murder takes place before Buzz's arrival, but there are more to follow! Because of the family curse, there's a werewolf in the house. But who can it be? The new governess? Sheriff Birdsong? The neighbor with the leaky boat? Olga, the gypsy, who still uses a wagon and horse? Things really get hot when Buzz is declared heir to the Snipes fortune and a young man claiming he is the real Buzz Halliburton shows up only to be wolfed down. Who dunnit? Everything is here from a touch of light romance to a classic "will-reading" scene with fiery red eyes at the window. The laughs never stop and there are plenty of chills. Simple to stage, this energetic and crazy spoof will keep your audience howling. P.S. You don't need a real penguin.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code C80000
- Cast Size 12
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 100 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre
- Genre Farce
- ISBN(13) 9780871290069
- "This was a fun show to rehearse and the audiences thoroughly enjoyed it. We enjoyed working on the special effects and the broad characterizations were good for beginners as well as experienced high school performers. "
- Review by Linda Benge, Grantsburg High School, Grantsburg, Wis.
- "Curse of the Werewolf has enough unique parts to satisfy any group. Even with our limited facilities, it went over very well with the cast and the audience."
- Review by Ted Mitchell, Newaygo High School, Newaygo, Mich.
- "This energetic and crazy spoof will keep your audiences howling."
- Review by Joyce Eckstein, Theatre Off the Square, Aledo, Texas
- "Curse of the Werewolf is a perfect play for introducing young casts to the conventions of farce. Some great broad characters and ever-increasing pacing. It also teaches the necessity of timing and reaction. Also useful for teaching old-style sound effects ... Set can be very simple or as complex as you want. This show is a dynamite choice for the budget-conscious. For those with bigger budgetsÑthis thing can look spectacular."
- Review by Scott Piehler, Providence Christian Academy, Lilburn, Ga.
- "What an audience pleaser! The students had a blast bringing these whacky characters to life. Fun for all."
- Review by MaryBeth Babcock, Columbia Community Unit School, Columbia, Il.