Inspired by Tolstoy's tellings of Russian folktales a century ago, this award-winning story theatre play is a celebration of the glory of story in a style at once primitive and sophisticated, entertaining, accessible and surprising. It is an ideal ensemble piece with a fresh blend of vaudeville, commedia, realism, farce and poetry. The play, composed of stories, clearly illustrates the essence of story itself as a human survival tool and art. Its theme is that each person's real life is in itself a complex story, made of overlapping, interwoven stories, lived and to some degree authored, acted, and directed by its protagonist.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code T84000
- Cast Size 5
- Min. Royalty Rate $35/perf
- Cost $8.95
- Approx. Run Time 40 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | Community Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy | Drama | Farce
- ISBN(13) 9780871290434
- "This is an excellent play for middle school. Parents love it, the students have fun with it -- we could easily accommodate a cast of 40."
- Review by Pamela Monk, Park Forest Middle School, State College, PA
- "A modern, fast-paced adaptation of seven Russian folk tales, beautifully spun together in classic story theatre style. This piece was made for our middle school touring group! Well crafted and written, leaving it to the imagination of the director and troupe to make it come alive."
- Review by Wendy Johnson, Story Theatre Ensemble, Corvallis, OR
- "The Tolstoy Story Play is an intelligent, fast-paced play. It provides challenges for both large and small casts. If done correctly, it is amazing to watch. The audience was awed as the players mutated in and out of character, weaving stories and tying them together. It is a very engaging play."
- Review by Janice Falk, Cornerstone Christian School, Moose Jaw, SK
|Tawas Area Middle School||Tawas City||Michigan||4/12/2019||4/21/2019|