"What is real?" the Velveteen Rabbit asked the Skin Horse. "Does it hurt?" Often humorous to the point of absurdity, at times profound without being heavy, this musical adaptation of Margery Williams' classic follows the adventures of the toy rabbit as he tries to become real. On his way, the rabbit must deal with the Top Banana Nana, who rules the nursery with an iron hand, and the other more haughty toys. The musical moves between the worlds of the toy closet and the nursery and is sprinkled with songs which bring responses from total laughter to misty eyes. The show can be done with an adjustable cast and has been performed and enjoyed by people from six to 60 years old. The Velveteen Rabbit is special because he identifies with children, and the message will never diminish as long as people search for the magic of love.
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code V01000
- Cast Size 30
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 80 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Elementary School | Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871293855
- "This play is delightfully charming. Not only did our actors enjoy the show, the school and community loved it! It really established our program among the community."
- Review by Tamala Szyman, Mondovi High School, Mondovi, WI
- "What a delightful musical. Cute production numbers and beautiful songs and an excellent script for children's theatre. Our preschool audience at our "Teddy Bear Picnic" and performance were enchanted by the "Toys.""
- Review by Sharon Morrow, Parkview High School, Lilburn, GA
- "This is the second time we have produced this show in our 20-year history. It is a great script with lots of parts and catchy songs."
- Review by Andrea Croskery, Smiles and Frowns Playhouse, Greenville, N.C.
- "Definitely a show that grows on you. The music seems simple at first but really is quite interesting with catchy melodies. Plays well to family audiences with great roles for kids."
- Review by Rebecca Ryland, Arts for Kids, ETC., Danville, Ky.
- "The Velveteen Rabbit is a delightful musical for all ages. It still remains a charming and memorable story on so many levels. Although it is advertised as a full-length musical, it is successfully produced and staged with less rehearsal time because of the simplicity of the musical score and the ease of directing the scenes."
- Review by Andrew Cheney, City of Burlingame Parks & Recreation, Burlingame, Calif.