In September of 1847, Edgar Allan Poe is reported to have boarded a steamer in Baltimore Harbor for an overnight voyage to New York City. He never arrived. Five days later, Poe was found delirious on a Baltimore street and died soon thereafter. What transpired over those five missing days has remained forever a mystery... until now. This imaginative play, utilizing the macabre stories and poems of one of America's most celebrated writers, ponders what might have happened to him on the dreary nightmare voyage at the end of his life. Filled with masterful illusions and disappearances. Nevermore! keeps audiences on the edge of their seats from the first curtain to the final denouement.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code N41000
- Cast Size 19
- Min. Royalty Rate $100/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 100 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | Dinner Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871296122
- "The script was great -- well written. It posed many acting and technical challenges to our cast."
- Review by Breta Grubbs, Caldwell High School, Caldwell, TX
- "It was an excellent play in which my students were able to entertain even the young people in the audience. It was a high level play for 8th grade students, but they pulled it off."
- Review by Tonya Miller, Bloomer Middle School, Bloomer, Wis.
- "Hypnotic poetry, stories, madness and true love; Julian Wiles has woven what is known of Edgar Allen Poe's final mysterious days (in 1849) with what "might've happened." Nevermore! is an intriguing look at one man's search for redemption through the "maelstrom" that his life has become."
- Review by Abby Sturtevant, Webster City Community Theatre, Webster City, Iowa
- "This was truly a hit!!! There were points in the rehearsal process where I wasn't sure if we were going to make it, but the end result was amazing! This was a great production for Halloween!"
- Review by Laura Anderle-Smith, Nathan Hale High School, West Allis, Wis.
- "Excellent show. Challenging but yet accessible for your star performers. Need three very strong men to pull this off. Wonderful, creative use of Poe's language."
- Review by Karen Stitely, Catoctin High School, Thurmont, Md.
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "Speedy set changes are essential! The set crew needs to be a well oiled machine. Also, to help audience members less familiar with Poe's poems/stories, our programs listed the major works covered in Nevermore! and a brief synopsis of each."
- Tip by Abby Sturtevant, Webster City Community Theatre, Webster City, Iowa