William Shakespeare was big on what can happen if you make the wrong move. And in his world that meant letting greed, jealousy, power and revenge get out of hand. He was always telling his audience, "Pick your friends well—watch whom you listen to." Well, Hamlet listens to a ghost and makes his choices. The ghost tells him to get even with his uncle who, by the way, deserves it, and everybody ends up very dead. Three wise, sassy, irreverent storytellers relay this story and, believe it or not, make you laugh at the craziness of the human condition and gasp at the universality of human behavior—whether in 15th-century Denmark or 21st-century_________(pick any city on the planet!). There are big chunks of Shakespeare's language juxtaposed to kid vernacular. It's a rich soup served up to make Mr. Shakespeare part of the playground landscape. The Bard's cautionary tale will send your audience home asking new questions about their contemporary world. Cross-gender casting is possible and, indeed, encouraged. Hamlet and Claudius should be male; Ophelia and Gertrude should be female. Everyone else can be cross-cast, gender-wise.
Livestream Rights AvailableContact our customer service department for more information.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code H94000
- Cast Size 15
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | Community Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy | Drama | Satire
- ISBN(13) 9781583425633
- "We loved the script! This play was perfect for a small cast and a great way to introduce Shakespeare to our community. It contains all the important scenes from Hamlet without weighing the audience down. Our cast and community enjoyed producing this show; as a director, I felt like we had successfully brought the Bard's story to our stage."
- Review by Kerri Huffman, North Stanly High School, New London, N.C.