Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code R33000
- Cast Size 9
- Min. Royalty Rate $50/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 45 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871297211
- "We had picked A Rose for Emily for our Dessert Theatre before Oprah Winfrey chose William Faulkner as her author for her book club this summer. The personalities of the townsfolk, contrasted with those of Emily and Homer, gave a variety of characters for the audience to applaud. The parts were very much equal in length... The audience popped out of their seats for the surprise ending when Meredith screamed from behind the curtain. This was a memorable crowd pleaser, and one the actors will never forget."
- Review by Irene Herr, Keene High School, Keene, Texas
- "Joseph Robinette's A Rose for Emily is a wonderful adaptation of Faulkner's famous short story. It is a great play that combines the characteristics of the gothic genre with Faulkner's compelling Southern characters."
- Review by Kathleen Dawson, Cushing High School, Cushing, Texas
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "The transitions between past and present are trickyÑpacing is key to keeping the audience engaged. Music adds to the piece. Don't use blackouts for the transitions."
- Tip by Cathy Archer, Rutland High School, Rutland Vt.
- "Blocking back and forth in time may be tricky for novice directors. Reading story by William Faulkner provides more depth to characters."
- Tip by Kathleen Tissot, Oregon High School, Oregon, Wis.