Livestream and Record & Stream Rights Available
To review some frequently asked questions about streaming, please click here.
To apply for livestream or record & stream rights, please complete this form.
- Type of Show Full-length Play
- Product Code MD1000
- Cast Size 19
- Min. Royalty Rate $90/perf
- Cost $10.95
- Approx. Run Time 60 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | High School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | Community Theatre | TYA
- Genre Comedy | Farce | Satire
- ISBN(13) 9781583420928
- "This play was a lot of fun to stage with 7th grade students. They really appreciated the modern narration and the audience loved it! We had a lot of fun with the chase scene between the Athenian teenagers and of course the mechanicals play within the play! Fun script!"
- Review by Caitlyn Baldwin, Rollings Middle School of the Arts, Summerville, S.C.
- "I really enjoyed this adaptation. My middle schoolers thought it was very funny! It lent itself to creative use of music, costuming, and staging. The audience gave it rave reviews."
- Review by Dana Irish, Brillion Middle School, Brillion, WI
- "It was nice to do Shakespeare without overwhelming my actors!"
- Review by Melissa Nelson, International Community School, Kirkland, WA
- "An absolutely wonderful experience for our 13 year old actors and our audiences."
- Review by Carolyn Wilson, The Pines Senior Public School, New Castle, Ontario, Canada
- "An adaptable and charming middle school take on the Bard's most endearing comedy. Perfectly suited to the innate silliness that 13-14 year olds embody, the Rude Mechanicals were never so charming as when they are over-done by students on the cusp of adulthood. A perfect theatrical romp for middle school."
- Review by Susan Guthrie Dunn, River Oaks Baptist School, Houston, Texas
- "This being our first attempt at Shakespeare, it was a great choice. Because of the compact version, the students weren't overwhelmed by the dialogue (or dialect). Also, the storyteller thread helped both them and the audience connect more easily with the plot."
- Review by Katherine Geible, Wabash High School, Wabash, Ind.
- "This show was fabulous. My students enjoyed it, the audiences were happy, and I had fun as the director, too. The interpretation of Shakespeare's script was easy to follow and full of action."
- Review by Jasmine Lemon, Dr. Knox Middle School, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Hints, Tips, and Tricks
- "You need to plan on adding fairies as invariably you end up with more females. Half of my Mechanicals were females. I added some funny choreographed dances to our fairy cadre (as I had 10 girls who could move well)."
- Tip by Susan Guthrie Dunn, River Oaks Baptist School, Houston, Texas
- "Hitting the thrift stores early in the production gave me a lot of time to locate costume pieces. I took the staging idea from the playwright and used rope and green fabric for the woods, but also added dollar-store vines and tossed on some glitter."
- Tip by Katherine Geible, Wabash High School, Wabash, Ind.
- "Play with sound effectsÑwe used many more than required and it really added. Our set consisted of real, very large plants mounted on furniture dolliesÑsimple and easy to move."
- Tip by Jasmine Lemon, Dr. Knox Middle School, Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
|Marjorie Luke Theatre||Santa Barbara||California||11/17/2022||11/18/2022|