All your Christmases will live again in the magic of Dylan Thomas' poetic language. "I can never remember whether it snowed for six days and six nights when I was twelve or twelve days and twelve nights when I was six." Despite the fact that this is a Welsh Christmas and the music is also Welsh, Dylan Thomas has managed to universalize the very essence of Christmas as any child anywhere might perceive it. If the play has a plot it is the story of Christmas Day itself, from its quiet, magical beginning full of thrilling expectations to the end when the boy Dylan creeps up to the bed, replete with the joy of a perfect Christmas. The cast is flexible and the staging should be kept simple. Attempts at "realism" would undermine the child's-eye view. Vincent Dowling produced the premiere at the Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival where it became a held-over smash hit! This is Christmas just the way Christmas always should be. Area staging. Approximate running time: 2 hours. If you are interested in staging a reading of A Child's Christmas in Wales (C66) or the Dylan Thomas poem Memories of Christmas (M65), please call or write for details.
- Type of Show Musical
- Product Code C62000
- Cast Size 20
- Min. Royalty Rate $80/perf
- Cost $9.95
- Approx. Run Time 120 min
- Target Audience Middle School | High School | College and Adult | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre
- Genre Drama
- ISBN(13) 9780871293756
- "This is our second year producing this wonderful "play with music." I don't know who enjoys it more: the cast or the audience! There will be a 2006 production for sure!"
- Review by Karen Vanover, New Gate Celtic Theatre, Cincinnati, Ohio