Set in a Jewish community in 19th-century Poland and based on a medieval Jewish folktale, the play asks the question, "Can girls be as smart as boys?" Rachel lives with her family in their small bakery and inn and has acquired a reputation as a clever girl who can figure out answers to the most challenging riddles. But the traditional roles of men and women don't allow for women to be intellectuals. Her father believes in her and brags about her skills; her mother is afraid to tempt fate by praising her daughter; and her younger brother just wants to play. A series of visitors (all played by the same actress) take advantage of her wisdom, but things come to a head when Jacob, the smartest boy in town, challenges her to a contest of wits. Somehow they both win and find something that neither had beforea friend.
- Type of Show One-act Play
- Product Code CQ9000
- Cast Size 6
- Min. Royalty Rate $40/perf
- Cost $7.95
- Approx. Run Time 45 min
- Target Audience Young Audiences | Middle School | Family (all ages)
- Performing Group Middle School | High School | College Theatre | Community Theatre | Professional Theatre | TYA | Touring Group
- Genre Comedy | Drama
- ISBN(13) 9781619591042
- Each poster includes a text box which allows you to customize it with your production information. Once a poster has been opened, position your mouse over the lower third portion until you see a label with instructions on entering your production information. Use the Text Select Tool to customize your poster.
- You can print the poster in its original format and hand write your information.
- Your local copy shop should be able to create prints from a file saved to disk. They might even be able to increase the size of the poster for you (although some loss of resolution will occur).